Zane Grey’s is a waterfront restaurant with two dining areas operating since September 2018 in the Bay of Islands town of Paihia.
Mixing a great location with delicious food, you can be sure of a great dining experience when you visit – no matter for breakfast, casual lunch, comfy cocktails with live music or a more formal setting for dinner like a wedding under the stars! We can cater for almost everything!
The primary purpose of the Sous Chef is to support the Head Chef and lead the team in the absence of the Head Chef. You're a leader, trainer and mentor to all Senior and Junior Chefs as well as Kitchen Hands. A Sous Chef is a developmental role with the aim to expand on already strong cookery skills, as well as management skills, to assist running the kitchen on a daily basis. By supporting the Head Chef your purpose is to absorb skills needed to effectively lead a team of Chefs, understand menu costings and development and run a kitchen efficiently and innovatively. In this position, you will act as the second in command in our kitchen, following and enforcing our Executive Head Chef requirements and guidelines. Our ideal candidate is a creative professional who is willing to participate in creating delicious seasonal menus and meal designs. Your duties will include recruiting new employees, responding to customer issues, and developing new menu options. You should have excellent communication skills with in-depth knowledge of several cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and processes.
Key Requirements of the role:
- Develop new menu options based on seasonal changes and customer demand
- Assist with the preparation and planning of meal designs
- Ensure that kitchen activities operate in a timely manner
- Resolve customer problems and concerns personally
- Monitor and record inventory, and if necessary, order new supplies
- Provide support to junior kitchen employees with various tasks including line cooking, food preparation, and dish plating
- Recruit and train new kitchen employees to meet restaurant and kitchen standards
- Create schedules for kitchen employees and evaluate their performance
- Adhere to and implement sanitation regulations and safety regulations
- Manage the kitchen team in the executive chef's absence
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role
- Strong knowledge of cooking methods, kitchen equipment, and best practices
- Good understanding of POS Systems and other restaurant software programs
- Teamwork-oriented with outstanding leadership abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Here at Zane Grey’s we work hard, but we play hard too, with attractive staff discount and an incentive program. If you’re looking for a fulfilling, rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
Looking for more than just a pay cheque? Then we could be the place for you. Join our fun, innovative team over the water at Zane Grey’s Restaurants and Bars.
Keen to join a hospitality team in a unique location? At “The Dock "and “The Aquarium” we have a world-class location offering two unique dining experiences and are looking for someone who is systems orientated and able to work in a world class kitchen team. There is quite literally no other venue like this in New Zealand.
So… if you want to join our team - apply now! We look forward to seeing your applications.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Great Salary Rates will be offered to the right candidate! email us your CV TODAY!** We are Accredited Employer. We can support visa applications for the right employee**